Thursday, September 27, 2007

In Grace AND Truth?


I've had this blog up for some time now and have never really posted about why it has been emblazoned, "In Grace & Truth". There's no time like the present & I suppose I should at least bring it up, if ever so briefly.

If I'm honest, there was no theologically astute reasoning behind why I chose the title I chose. It sounded "blog-ish". I had been recently inspired by another staff couples' website, In All Things. Their page takes its' name from Romans 8:28, which says that God works in all things for the good of those who love him. Sounded like a good idea to run with (or blatantly rip off).

Please feel honored, Inouyes.

Lo and behold, John 1:14 popped into my head and sounded "good" to me. Long story short, I'm just now being to scratch the surface of how above and beyond my meager comprehension this title is.

So what does it mean that Jesus came full of grace and truth? To me it gives backbone to the truism: that if I have no great sin, Christ is no great savior.

How can we accurately (even through a glass dimly) appreciate God's grace if we don't know the truth of what his grace saves us from? How can I go on for the next 5 minutes without being destroyed by the truth of my shortcomings before an infinitely holy, righteous, EVERYTHING God if there is no grace? His wrath is as real as His love. His love is as real as His vengeance. Every characteristic and quality God possesses is completely consistent and equal to one another because He is holy.

{potential let down coming}

Instead of espousing my opinion further and giving you a free (probably below average) sermon, I will now put my trust in letting this post (& the blog as a whole) be a point of encouragement to you. After all, I didn't initiate this blog to bless you with my wisdom, or play to my pride-- which doesn't need any help-- but instead to keep you updated on what God is doing in the ministry and to encourage you by pointing you to Him. (As you may know, "He is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.")

Hopefully by broaching this subject here you will individually open the Word and hear from a much more reliable source why it is that Jesus was full of Grace And Truth.

No comments: