Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What's So Good About Marriage?

On my trip to Colorado a few weeks back I began reading Randy Newman's book "Questioning Evangelism". While teaching me ways to engage people's hearts much more conversationally, he covers topics that he has found common through over 20 years as a staff member of Campus Crusade. However, instead of giving you my synopsis, I'll save some time and direct you to an accurate review of this book.

From what I read today, a chapter entitled, "What's So Good About Marriage?" I found this paragraph worthy of passing on:

Marriage makes us better because it shows us how bad we are. Lifelong, unconditional commitment makes us more giving because it exposes how selfish we are. Loving someone who doesn't deserve love makes us more like the God who loved us "while we were still sinners" (Romans 5:8). Unlike any other tool, then, marriage drives home the two-pronged message of the gospel: that we are 'more wicked and sinful than we ever dared believe but, in Christ, we are more accepted and loved than we ever dared hope.' (Newman, p.186)

To read another excerpt from his book, try this link:

Randy Newman Excerpt

Or if you want to spend the $8 on a good book

No comments: